Panciu is a town in the county of Vrancea, Moldova, Romania, consisting of the localities of Crucea de Jos, Crucea de Sus, Dumbrava, Neicu, Panciu (residence) and Satu Nou.
Panciu is located in Moldova, at the foot of the Vrancea Mountains, in the Eastern Carpathians. The city is located in the central-eastern part of the county, on the left bank of the river Şuşiţa. Focsani Municipality is located about 30 km south.
The oldest archaeological finds in the region originated in the Paleolithic. In 1589 Panciu was first mentioned in documents as the Cross. In the seventeenth century it became a local administrative center, especially because of the wine culture. The name of Panciu was mentioned for the first time in 1798. In addition to the Romanians living in Panciu and many living Jews (1,410 in 1900). The Peasant Revolution of 1907 spread to Panciu. The locality has been repeatedly affected by disasters; through a fire in 1869, an earthquake in 1894, and the First World War in 1916. The largest earthquake on November 10, 1940 had a magnitude of 7.4 on the Richter scale, where 42 people died, 70 seriously injured and almost all the village destroyed. The city was then rebuilt, mostly from prefabricated buildings.
At the end of the 19th century, the Panciu commune was the residence of Zăbrăuţi in Putna County, and formed only from its main locality, with 2785 inhabitants. There were two churches in the city, the small monastery of Brazi, a boys 'school with 237 pupils, a girls' room with 130 pupils, a 32-bed hospital, a court, a post office and a telegraph, and the residence of a Dorobant company. At that time, the city of Zăbrăuţi and the communes of the Lower Cross and the Upper Cross operated on the same territory of the city. The commune of the Lower Cross, comprising the villages of Crucea de Jos, Dumbrava and Satu Nou, had a population of 1493 inhabitants and two churches (one at the Lower Cross and the other in Satu Nou). The Upper Cross had two villages - Chicera and Neicu, with 1631 inhabitants - and there were two churches (one in each village) and a mixed school with 47 students (of which 2 were girls).