Marasesti is a city in Vrancea County, Moldova, Romania, consisting of the localities of Mărăşeşti (residence), Siretu and Tişiţa, and from Călimăneşti, Haret, Modruzeni and Padureni villages.
The town is located in the eastern extremity of the county, on the border with Galati County, on the right bank of the Siret River, which separates it from it, in the area where Siret receives the waters of the river Şusita and the Zăbrăuţi river.
At the end of the 19th century, Marasesti was a rural village in the Shusita net in Putna County, a commune formed only from the village of residence, with 1717 inhabitants. In Mărăşeşti commune there was a church, a boys school with 55 students, a girls with 13 pupils and a post office and telegraph. At that time, on the current territory of the town, Padureni commune, consisting of Călimăneşti, Modruzeni and Padureni villages, with 903 inhabitants. There was a church and a mixed school with 28 pupils in Padureni.
During the First World War, the area of the city was the battle theater of Marasesti, one of the few strategic victories of the Entente in 1917 on the Eastern Front. Until 1925, due to the role of railway junction, Marasesti developed and was promoted to the rank of urban commune. The Socec Yearbook of that year records a population of 4,100 inhabitants. Pădureni commune, like Marasesti, in the Caregna net of the same Putna County, then had 1005 inhabitants. In 1931, the village of Haret was recorded in Padureni commune.