Barlad is located in Vaslui County, on the Barlad River, between the Tutova Hills and the Falci Hill, at an altitude ranging from 90 meters to 172 meters. Declared municipal in 1968, at present the town has about 78,000 inhabitants. In the period prior to the establishment of the communist regime in Romania, Barlad was the seat of Tutova County. After the administrative division during the communist regime (when Romania was named by the Romanian People's Republic), Barlad was the residence of Barlad. After abandoning this form of territorial organization, the town of Barlad becomes a simple municipality, subordinated to the Vaslui county residence. The first documentary mention dates from 1174, in a Russian chronicle and then in a 1422 charter issued by Alexandru cel Bun. Later in 1495 it is remembered as a fair. After the Battle of 1475 Stefan cel Mare decides to help the city with a fortification to cope with possible attacks by the Turks. And yet the town of Barlad had a tumultuous history, being destroyed by the Tatars (1440, 1444, 1683), the Turks (1822) and the forces of nature (the earthquake of 1802 destroyed almost entirely the city and the town in 1840 half) . Also the fires were frequent, the most important one being that of 1826. However, Barlad was one of Moldova's major craftsmanship centers, being an important commercial center and residence of a great visitor. The city and its surroundings were known in that period as the Land of the Barlads. In the nineteenth century the city was the birthplace of the Patriotic Association founded by Alexandru Ioan Cuza, Grigore Cuza and Iordache Lambrino. They aimed at the main purpose of uniting Moldavia with Wallachia.