Onesti was at first a small village on the Onesti estate, a water market where Trotus and Oituzul, Casinul and Tazlaul meet, where the Oituz, Us - Palanca Transcarpathian roads meet the roads of the Moldavian plateau. It is an important center of economic life in Moldova, dating from the time of the feudal settlement, which first developed as an agricultural settlement, being the property of various local feudalists or coming from somewhere else. At the beginning of the twentieth century there are various forest exploitations based in Onesti. The industrial development of Onesti began in the early 50's. In 1952 Onesti was declared a town, and in 1968 Onesti was declared a town. In 1956 the first installations at Onesti Refinery and Borzesti Thermal Power Plant are put into operation. In 1960 the first plants at the Chemical Plant were put into operation, and in 1962 the first installations at the Rubber Factory. In 1974 it is put into operation the chemical facility Borzesti. Also in Onesti there were built the Dairy Products Factory (1977), the Bread Factory (1978), the Brewery Factory (1976). All this has transformed Onesti into a powerful industrial center. 5 high schools, 7 general schools, 12 kindergartens, a municipal hospital with 824 beds, a children's swing, 6 crèches, a 226-seat hotel and over 19,000 apartments are currently being built, when Onesti is in the stage of democratic current change.