Podu Iloaiei is a city in the county of Iasi, Moldova, Romania, consisting of the localities Budai and Podu Iloaiei (residence), and from the villages of Cositeni, Holm and Scobalteni. The city is in the center of the county, on the banks of Bahlui, when Bahluiet is spilled into it. It is crossed by the national road DN28, which connects Iasi to Roman. At Podu Iloaiei, from this road the county roads DJ281 and DJ282D branches. The first leads north to Erbiceni, Belcesti, Cotnari, Ceplenita, Scobinti (where intersects with DN28B) and Siretel. The second goes south to Popesti and Madarjac. The city is a small railway junction, with the railway station Pascani-Iasi, from this railway branch being branched down a line leading to Harlau. Targusorul Podu Iloaiei was formed in 1818 when several Jewish merchants obtained permission from Prince Scarlat Callimachi to set up a fair at the Bahlui Bridge across the border between several estates. The Targusor was administered by a government commissioner until 1864, when it was organized as a rural commune. At the end of the 19th century, Podu Iloaiei had this status of rural commune, formed only from the residence market, being part of Bahalu Iasi county, with a total of 2736 inhabitants, mostly Jews. In the village functioned a mixed school with 154 students (opened as a boys' school in 1862 and admitting girls starting with 1867), a pharmacy, a hospital, a steam mill and a church. The Socec Yearbook of 1925 records it as the residence of the same site, with 3464 inhabitants in the villages of Cositeni, Holm, Scobalteni and Podu Iloaiei Targ.