Stefanesti is a town in Botosani county, Moldova, Romania, consisting of the localities Badiuti, BobuleSti, Stanca, Stefaneti (reSedinta) and Stefanesti-Sat. Until 2004, Stefanesti was a commune, which was declared a city on April 1, 2004, by Law no. 79/2004. The Stefanesti town is located in the eastern Upper Jijia Plain, near the confluence of the Baseu River with the Prut River, on the shore of the Stanca-Costesti reservoir. Stefanesti was declared a town in 2004, and currently has about 5,800 inhabitants and 4 localities in administrative subordination (Badiuti, Bobulesti, Stanca, Stefanesti-Sat). Stefanesti locality is mentioned for the first time in 1435 under the name of Gura Bazaului, in a document issued by the ruler Stefan II. In 1476 already appears as a fair, and in Dimitrie Cantemir's Descriptio Moldaviae appears as a notable oppidum. In the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries the settlement was tortured by the Tatars on several occasions, afterwards the spoils and the attacks of the Polish armies. At the census of 1860, the Stefanes were officially the 27th urban settlement of Moldova, according to the population (2114 inhabitants). Until 1968 the village was named Stefanesti-Targ. As a recognition of socio-economic development, in 2004 it is raised to the rank of city.