×

Home Moldova Maramures Muntenia and Dobrogea Banat and Crisana Transylvania Oltenia Events ROMANA
Dorohoi Dorohoi is a municipality in Botosani county, Moldova, Romania, consisting of the localities Dealu Mare, Dorohoi (residence), Enescu Lots and Progress. It is located on the bank of the Jijia river at 36 km from the city of Botosani, which is the seat of the county with the same name. At the 2011 census there was a population of 24,309 inhabitants. The town of Dorohoi, the residence of the former county of the same name, was located in the north-west of the Upper Moldavian Plain, in the Botosani County, at the Upper Jijia Plain with the Bour Hills, at the Jijia River confluence with the Buhai River at 200 m altitude On the right bank of the Jijia River. Geographically, the city is situated in the northeastern part of Romania, in the contact area between Bourul-Ibanesti high hill region on the left side of Siret Valley and Moldavia Plain on the upper course of the Jijia River. The northern, northwestern and western hills of the city are Magura Ibanesti (385m), Pietris-Dersca (472m), Hapai (472m). To the west, at 15 km, is the Siret valley and to the northeast, at 35-40 km is the Prut valley. As a globe, Dorohoi is at the intersection of the parallel 47 ° 58 'N with the meridian 26 ° 23' E. Set at this latitude makes the city receive a smaller amount of heat than the southern towns, the days are longer Half an hour to the summer solstice, the springtime to be delayed for two weeks, the fall comes earlier and the winters are longer. The relief is fragmented by Jijia and its tributaries: the Buhai and Morii Brooks with Criva and Ghitaloaia. The highest elevation of the relief is in the major bed of Jijia, 140-150m and the highest on the Tirinca Hill, 193m. The climate of the region is temperate continental. Dorohoi

Dorohoi is a municipality in Botosani county, Moldova, Romania, consisting of the localities Dealu Mare, Dorohoi (residence), Enescu Lots and Progress. It is located on the bank of the Jijia river at 36 km from the city of Botosani, which is the seat of the county with the same name. At the 2011 census there was a population of 24,309 inhabitants. The town of Dorohoi, the residence of the former county of the same name, was located in the north-west of the Upper Moldavian Plain, in the Botosani County, at the Upper Jijia Plain with the Bour Hills, at the Jijia River confluence with the Buhai River at 200 m altitude On the right bank of the Jijia River. Geographically, the city is situated in the northeastern part of Romania, in the contact area between Bourul-Ibanesti high hill region on the left side of Siret Valley and Moldavia Plain on the upper course of the Jijia River. The northern, northwestern and western hills of the city are Magura Ibanesti (385m), Pietris-Dersca (472m), Hapai (472m). To the west, at 15 km, is the Siret valley and to the northeast, at 35-40 km is the Prut valley. As a globe, Dorohoi is at the intersection of the parallel 47 ° 58 'N with the meridian 26 ° 23' E. Set at this latitude makes the city receive a smaller amount of heat than the southern towns, the days are longer Half an hour to the summer solstice, the springtime to be delayed for two weeks, the fall comes earlier and the winters are longer. The relief is fragmented by Jijia and its tributaries: the Buhai and Morii Brooks with Criva and Ghitaloaia. The highest elevation of the relief is in the major bed of Jijia, 140-150m and the highest on the Tirinca Hill, 193m. The climate of the region is temperate continental.

George Enescu Memorial Museum

George Enescu Memorial Museum
At 0.82 km from city center.

Museum of Natural Sciences

Museum of Natural Sciences
At 0.73 km from city center.

The Old Dorohoi City Hall

The Old Dorohoi City Hall
At 0.33 km from city center.

City Library of Dorohoi

City Library of Dorohoi
At 0.77 km from city center.

the Municipal House of Culture

the Municipal House of Culture
At 0.45 km from city center.

The Ensemble of the Domnesti Church

The Ensemble of the Domnesti Church
At 0.73 km from city center.

the Vargolici Church (the wooden church)

the Vargolici Church (the wooden church)
At 0.51 km from city center.

Cathedral of Assumption

Cathedral of Assumption
At 0.39 km from city center.

Gorovei Monastery

Gorovei Monastery
At 9.38 km from city center.

The wooden church of Vorniceni

The wooden church of Vorniceni
At 19.43 km from city center.

The Peatery from Dersca - Lozna

The Peatery from Dersca - Lozna
At 12.1 km from city center.

Horlaceni Arinis

Horlaceni Arinis
At 5.52 km from city center.

The Wooden Church from Braesti

The Wooden Church from Braesti
At 11.27 km from city center.

The Fortress from Hiliseu Crisan

The Fortress from Hiliseu Crisan
At 13.57 km from city center.
George Enescu Memorial MuseumThe house dates back to 1860, being listed on the List of Historic Monuments of Romania in 2010 under the code LMI - BT-II-m-B-01974. The building was bought by the composer's father, Costache Enescu, in 1910, and his son lived here for 9 years. The house became a museum in 1957, being organized by a group of intellectuals from Dorohoi, headed by Professor Constantin Radinschi. The museum houses today an important collection of documents and objects of great value belonging to the great musician: vintage furniture, a piano, a wand, violins, scores and manuscripts, a pair of glasses, a concert costume, books, photographs, personal letters , As well as distinctions that have been awarded to him throughout his career. Among them is a statuette that the distinguished musician received when nominated as an honorary citizen of Dorohoi. The entire treasure of the museum is included in the list of the National Cultural Patrimony. The piano is known to have been made in the 1920s, being bought from Vienna by Tinca, the young man's aunt, especially for giving it to him. The Master used to sing to him every time he visited his father. Here, as it is written on the marble stone at the entrance, in its longest stops, the composer made part of his work: Symphony III, piano quartet op.2 op.30, and others. In 2005, the museum was reorganized, so there is now a musical salon that regularly hosts concerts and recitals. And if a popular saying says the walls have ears, we are not wrong to say that the walls of this house have a musical ear. Because it transforms every interpretation hosted here into a mundane experience.George Enescu Memorial Museum
Museum of Natural SciencesThe building, a historical monument registered in the Historical Monuments List in 2010, code BT-11-m-B-01970 with the name <Former Prefecture, Today Museum of Natural Sciences> dates from the end of the sec. XIX (1887). The building was built in 1878 by a French architect to the Administrative Palace of the Prefecture of the former county of Dorohoi, but its construction was completed only in 1887. It has 46 rooms distributed in the basement, ground floor and floor . The edifice has a central dome and two lateral turrets. The roof, originally made of sandstone (slate), is currently replaced by galvanized sheet scales (2003-2004). In 1953, the museum recorded 975 cultural objects in the field of archeology, history, ethnography, art, the natural sciences, and a number of 148 documents that were subsequently handed over to the archives. In 1955, when the Botosani Rayon Museum was established, the museum in Dorohoi recorded a total of 1,173 pieces. The museum currently has 21 exhibition halls (12 rooms with porcelain glassware and 9 halls with natural history exhibits), 1 hall for temporary exhibitions and other activities, offices, warehouses and a conservation and restoration laboratory. Contemporary art galleries sum up 651 glass-porcelain objects made at the former glass factory in the city under the auspices of a creative camp between 1985-1988, using the raw sand from Hudesti-Miorcani as raw material. The heritage of natural history sums up 285,151 items of scientific importance from all systematic groups: fossils, rocks, plants, mollusks, corals, crustaceans, echinoderms, insects, fish, batracians, reptiles, birds and mammals. Among the most important acquisitions are the entomological collection Prof. Ioan Nemes, a collection that has been cataloged as one of the first in the country from the scientific point of view and the number of copies collected by a single collector, the exotic pharmacist collection Weber Wilhelm, the collection of birds Exotic (Zair-Africa) Professor Rang Catalin, etc. The museum exchanges publications with museums from the country and abroad, which has led to a substantial improvement of the specialized literature, the museum library having over 6,000 volumes.Museum of Natural Sciences
The Old Dorohoi City HallThe Old Dorohoi City Hall is today an architectural monument of particular local value (LMI Code - BT-II-m-B-01975), the nineteenth-century building. Thus, the cornerstone of the new headquarters, called the Communal Palace, was to be built in the middle of 1903, having the architect engineer Inginio Vignali in Iasi. The edifice was to be laid in 1907, including a carpenter's shop and a blacksmith's shop, and the heating of the building was on the radiators. A year later, in 1908, electric lighting went on, a utility that was still considered a luxury in many areas of the country at the time. Today, in front of the palace, stands the &lt;Romanian soldier in attack&gt;, a imposing monument dedicated to the heroes of the First World War. The building has been recently rehabilitated, the original architectural identity being well preserved, and the impeccable appearance embellishes the entire area today.The Old Dorohoi City Hall
City Library of DorohoiToday the City Library is one of the oldest cultural institutions in Dorohoi Municipality and is included in the List of Historical Monuments in Romania since 2010 as an architectural monument of local interest. As a location, the library is located on "Alexandru Ioan Cuza" street, no. 45, dating back to 1903. The need for a public library in the city was felt in 1868, and on November 21 of the same year the City Council voted to allocate the sum of 100 lei for its establishment. The first 42 volumes go from a donation received in 1870 by Dr. Costache Varnav, the library working at the Boys School Nr. 1 Gheorghe Asachi. Today, the library houses 75,000 volumes, 8 computers that can be used for documentation and serves a total population of 25,000.City Library of Dorohoi
the Municipal House of CultureIt was built at the beginning of the 20th century, in 1902, with the name of the Athenaeum. In the Municipal House of Culture is today the Minerva Art Gallery, with 296 exhibits made by linen and sculpture, with watercolor or ceramics. The construction of the current Dorohoi Municipal House of Culture on George Enescu Street was completed in 1926 and functioned first as the Mixed Primary School no. 3 I.C. Bratianu.the Municipal House of Culture
The Ensemble of the Domnesti ChurchThe Ensemble of the Domnesti Church is an archeological monument of Dorohoi Municipality, which also has a great national and universal value, being registered in the historical monuments list. This ensemble full of history is made up of the old church of Saint Nicholas Church and the Bell Tower. The Church of Saint Nicholas is known to be the oldest architectural monument in the city, dating back to 1495. It was founded by Voivode Stephan the Great, the protector of Moldavia, renowned and highly appreciated for its good habit of building churches and monasteries to Thank the divinity for the victories won in battles against the Turks. The site is of particular importance to the community of Orthodox Christians in the area, as the land around the church served as a cemetery until 1890, when the tombs were displaced. The church was in the past restored at the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century, more precisely between 1896-1921, but preserved its original walls and its original form. St. Nicholas Church is made in the old Moldavian style, with walls made of brick and stone, 1.3 meters thick. The construction has rounded sills, narrow and narrow windows, as well as a tower that is imposingly raised on two star bases, and the dome is like a hood. Without exaggerating anything, we can still say about this holy place that it is a real architectural jewel. It has one of the most beautiful exterior decorations, made in Byzantine style, of enamelled brick, of different colors. It also has a precious interior painting made about 500 years ago, but which has lasted until now. Also in the Royal Church Assembly, in the courtyard of the church, we find the Bell Tower, built up of brick, in order to preserve the better or the harshest times that have passed over this land. The tower rises to the sky in the west side of the church.The Ensemble of the Domnesti Church
the Vargolici Church (the wooden church)Formerly known as the Vargolici Church, the wooden church is a historic architectural monument in Dorohoi, dating back to 1779, and is included in the Historic Monuments List. The churches are built on stone foundations, oak barns, trees coming from the forest where they were. At that time, the possibilities were modest, the Turkish occupation and the Phanariot rulers put great tribulations, and the resources, including those of the priests, were limited. It was founded, according to the last information discovered by Father Ifrim Catalin in 2008, by a priest named Vasile, and he was at the same time a builder, carving the walls that make up the church. The church was given the form of a ship, the roof has fast slopes, and on the exterior walls a carved odgon, a thick navy rope, carved it, symbolizing Christian hope. The churches have never been painted, either indoors or outdoors. Only the iconostasis benefits from an oil painting in Byzantine style, with Orthodox saints having the thin faces of fasting and spiritual experience, as described in the monograph studies of the economist priest Constantin Ciocoiu from 1900 and 1915. It was cleaned and varnished in 1895, and then some repairs were made in 1904 and 1919. In subsequent restoration works the interior walls were blackened in the past centuries, the bell tower and the porch were rebuilt and restored iconostasis. The church houses some church books dating back to the 18th and early 19th century: The Triod in 1747, The Gospel of 1812, The Gospel Talion, 1805 and The 9 Songs, 1815. At present, the church was restored, but Has remained a solid model of the architecture for the offspring.the Vargolici Church (the wooden church)
Cathedral of AssumptionThe cathedral of the city is quite large and it is impressive through its architecture. On the whole, the church body is square, almost round in length of 29 m and width of 17 m. Above it has five octagonal towers, the roofs of the tower are shaped like caps. The bell tower is distinct, built of apparent brick in 1938. The first fundamental stone is on September 6, 1869, and the second foundation is on June 28, 1889. On August 14, 1894, the cathedral of Dorohoi was sanctified by IPS Metropolitan Iosif Naniescu and the second Holy Martyr Gheorghe was added.Cathedral of Assumption
Gorovei MonasteryGorovei Monastery is built on a monastery of Dragomirna Monastery. The monks found here an icon of Saint John the Baptist, which is why they built a wooden church during the years 1740-1742. The second church of Gorovei Monastery dates from 1834 and was built by the archimandrites Vitalie Lemnea and Macarie Jora. Gorovei Monastery was founded in 1742, when a monk in Dragomirna Monastery discovered at the root of an oak the icon of Saint John the Baptist after having spent three nights singing the tropic of Saint John the Baptist. Until 1775, when Bucovina was occupied by the Austro-Hungarian Empire, it served as a hermitage dependent on the Dragomirna Monastery, after which it functioned as a monastery under the jurisdiction of the Metropolitan Church of Moldova. The first church was built from the oak wood where the icon was found, being a small church that accommodated 20-30 people. In 1860, a new larger wooden church was built on a stone socket and a tumulus with the expense of the archbishop Chesarie Rezmerita, a metropolitan bishop of Moldova, a former living person of the Gorovei Monastery. In 1984, because the church was in an advanced state of degradation, a brick chapel was demolished and built in the same form. It was adorned with the fresco painting, performed by the painters Moldoveanu Ioan and his wife, Daniela, with the blessing of I.P.S. Father Metropolitan Daniel, most of the expenses being borne by Mihail Semenciuc from Candesti village, Mihaileni commune, Botosani county. The great church, dedicated to the Birth of St. John the Baptist, was built between 1830 and 1834 from the donations of the faithful, the Archimandrite Macarie Jora and Jerome Lemnea. The church is made of stone and brick, covered with galvanized sheet. Over time was repaired several times: 1869-1870, 1890, 1953 and 1992-1993. Because the church did not have a solid foundation and was placed on a piece of land with water infiltrations, general repairs were imposed. Since 2002, special works are being carried out at the foundation, wall injections, for the reinforcement of the vaults and the tower of the bell tower. The Archonocar was built in 1910, but it was modified over time. In 1980 the abbey and house of the bridegroom was built. In 2003 a bell tower was built at the gate of the monastery, where a museum will be arranged; Also, the authorization for the construction of a cell of cells was obtained. Although the monastery's dedication is the Birth of Saint John the Baptist, there is still a tradition in the tradition: the Spring of Tamaduirii.Gorovei Monastery
The wooden church of VorniceniThe wooden church dedicated to St. Dumitru is located in the village of Vorniceni in Botosani county, at a distance of 7 km from the Dorohoi - Iasi railway. The church in Vorniceni, possibly the oldest wooden church in Botosani County, does not have a pen, inscription or other document to certify the founder or the year when this place was erected. The construction is very similar to the wooden church in Putna. After the village hearth moved, in 1821, the logothete Nicolae Rosetti intervened to rescue the church in the middle of the community. Tradition says that this church was built by cutting the secular oaks of an old forest that stretched alongside the former site of the village, thus cleaning up the place where the church was built. Later the church was relocated from the hill, down the valley, into the village, being isolated because of the thieves. On several icons in the iconography is inscribed the year in which they were given to the church, so that on an icon of the Virgin Mary one can read the year 1783, and on the other one is seen the year 1785. From the above it can be easily inferred that in In 1774, the wooden church of Vorniceni exists, and like any wooden monument has undergone, over time, interventions in order to restore it. For example, in 1902, a moral and material situation of the church was submitted to the archpriest, from which we find that religious services were still being served, only that they wanted to move to the church because the wooden church was in a bad condition Because of his age. Maintained by the villagers of Vorniceni, was covered with a shingle period, but in 1915 they decided to contribute with their own money to replace the roof with zinc plated. In addition, the parish priest, Ioan Ionescu, borrowed from the People's Bank on June 24, 1915, the sum of 100 lei, to complete the work started in January by the master Costache Gh. Arnautu, also Chiricea. The church remained under this form until 1929, when a fire occurred in this part of the village. Requests for restoration of village monuments were filed after fire, and damages for the wooden church were valued at 100,000 lei. The roof of the church is made of shingles, being worked by folk technique in scales, and the bottom of the eaves is elongated to protect the walls of decay, being decorated with some wooden elements. The entire church is set on a stone foundation that has the role of building consolidation.The wooden church of Vorniceni
The Peatery from Dersca - LoznaThe natural area is located in the north-western extremity of Botosani County, on the administrative territory of Lozna, near the county road (DJ291K) connecting Calinesti village by DJ291B, 12 km from Dorohoi. Natural reservation declared protected area by Law no. 5 of 6 March 2000 published in the Official Gazette of Romania no. 152 of April 12, 2000 (approving the National Spatial Planning Plan - Section III - Protected Areas) covers an area of ​​10 kilometers and overlaps with the Natura 2000 - Turbaria site in Dersca. The natural area is an area of ​​turbot marshes, peat bogs and meadows that harbor natural habitats (Lycra communities with high hygrophic grasses from the alps to the mountain and alpine; Natural eutrophic lakes with Magnopotamion or Hydrocharition vegetation and degraded peatlands capable of regeneration Natural) and protects a wide range of wetland plants; among which: ligularia (Ligularia siberica), cranberry (Vaccinum oxytcoctus), arnica (Arnica montana), bradisor (Lycopodium selago and Huperzia selago), orchid (Dactylorhiza incarnata), peonies (Orchis laxiflora ssp. elegans), lousewort (Pedicularis sceptrum-carolinum)), omag (Aconitum toxicum), jaundice (Serratula radiata), reed plates (Phragmites australis), tattooing willows (Salix rosmarinifolia) or withered with Salix repens and Salix pentand.The Peatery from Dersca - Lozna
Horlaceni ArinisHorlaceni Arinis is an extensive 5-hectare reserve that shelters and protects by law the black alder (Alnus glutinosa) or the anin, a leaf-shaped shrub that has a dark brown autumn. The Reserve lies on the Jijia Plain, being located in the village of Horlaceni, in the village of sendriceni and part of the Dorohoi Forestry. It is a forest reserve included in category IV - ICUN, being a management area for the habitat existing here.Horlaceni Arinis
The Wooden Church from BraestiHalfway between Botosani and Dorohoi, in Braesti, one of the most beautiful wooden foundations in this area is found. The churches, built in the first half of the 18th century by the boyar Miron Gorovei, may be the most successful wood plastering of the dibasia and gingasia of the masters of the past. You can not talk about the Moldavian wooden churches without keeping the place in Braesti, Botosani County. With modest dimensions, the church gathers everything that is most valuable as architecture and decoration in what we call generic wood art. Small, without imposing tower, with a ceramic decorated with an infinite, shallow and tender, wooden ladder supported by the roof, just like in the yards of the former households. Although listed on the list of historical monuments of category A (of national interest) in Botosani County, the Braesti wood church does not enjoy much attention in the tourist circuits of the area. Tourists arrive here very rarely, even if the monument is well signposted and is right on the national road connecting Dorohoi to the county seat. Architectural style The Assumption Church of Braesti is built of oak barns, attached to corners in pillars and placed on a foundation stone. The roof is dranita, laid in fish scales. Outside, you can see the open porch overlooking the bell tower. And in the tower, as in the porch, there are four simple sculptures, which support arcades of small size, decorated with the braid of the upper part. The pride, with great simplicity, seems to have been crooked in wood; So beautiful are the details of the decor, so graceful are the carvings on which the arches are supported. These, in turn, are proof of a special mastery: a beautifully curved acolada, symmetrically ordered and decorated with vegetal motifs. But one of the architectural elements that define the style of this church remains the entrance portal, decorated with 16 solar wheels (rosettes). Researchers Ioana Cristache Panait and Titu Elian noted, as early as 1972, in a study dedicated to the wooden churches in Moldova, this portal, which they considered unrivaled in beauty. In the front of the porch, above the arch, there is the inscription of the church's inscription, according to which the church was built in 1745 by the boyar Miron Gorovei. The interior, modestly, takes you to the early church. The nave is separated from the narthex through a wall of carved arcades, placed on solid oak poles. Of great artistic value are the decorations carved on the partitions of the partition wall, with representations of remarkable beauty: tulip flower and heraldic motifs. Perhaps the most important aspect worth pointing to is that the Braesti wood church still serves, even if not constantly. It was the only place that served the Braesti settlement until 1800, when the church was erected in the village.The Wooden Church from Braesti
The Fortress from Hiliseu CrisanAt Hiliseu Crisan one of the architectural masterpieces of Romania is found: The church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary. At a distance of 15 km from Dorohoi, passing by the well-known fairy tales of Codrii Herţei, set aside for the hikers, lies the village of Hiliseu-Crisan. As you enter the village, coming from Dorohoi, you will find on the left a historical monument of category A of national interest. You will see an old church like the world, from wood, as rarely as you have been given to see. Decorated with special architectural elements, with saints watching the entrance wall and a bell tower just like Benedictine monasteries, these with baroque influences, typical of the West, are all very special for this area of ​​the country. The 13 statues of the saints are of natural magnitude and represent the 12 apostles with Jesus Christ. The Church is unique in the country and in Europe, both in appearance and above all by meaning. Half the Catholic, the Orthodox half, the church is not just an architectural treasure, but also a cultural and spiritual one. Thus, there are united here, under the same roof, the two beliefs divided by the Great Schism of 1054. The wooden church was built in 1802 at the expense of boyar Vasile Curt, the then owner of the Hiliseu estate. Above the entrance door, under a series of floral sculptures, was dug in the light of the door 1802, May 21. According to the local tradition, the church would have been the core of a nunnery, set in the middle of the mosque. The church was completed at a later stage with the gate and wall of a new generation of the family of the property owners Alecu and Ana Curt. The elders of the village report that Ana, the wife of the boyar, was a Catholic, and the boyar was Orthodox ... so as not to quarrel with his wife, he made the bell tower and the Catholic fence. This bell is raised by Ana Curt, born Berneasa, (1832-1867), in 1858, with the funeral monument inside the church. On the southern side, the following dedication can be read on the southern side: &lt;Aleco and Anna de Curt rulers of Hilisei doctrine this monumental to the mourners of their children Anna, Gheorghie, Alecsandru, Oto, Maria and Vasily, founded in 1858&gt; On the east face of the monument are three plaques of marble written. On the left one can read: &lt;Alecu Curt died in 1889, in June, the benefactor and master of these places ... grateful: Didina and Eugenia.The Fortress from Hiliseu Crisan