Botosani is the capital city of the county with the same name. It is situated in the southwestern part of Botosani County, on the intersection between the Sitna and Dresleuca rivers, westwards between Dresleuca and Siret, then descends between the hills of Crivat, Agafton, Baisa in the depths, leaning on the platform of Moldova. The town is documented by the writing of the Armenian Church of Saint Mary dating back to 1350. Between the 14th and the 70s of the 19th century, Botosani, being located at the intersection of the main commercial roads, was a flourishing fair of Moldavia and a center of handicraft production. Starting with 1870, the city lost its economic influence because it became a secondary railway end with the extension of the Lemberg-Cernauti-Suceava line; As well as the construction of the Dorohoi - Iasi line in the Jijia valley. The fair has become of local importance, with an important drop in trade. The activity of the city has since turned to the agricultural industry, the main role being played by the agricultural production of the great estates. Between 1870 and 1968 it was a period of decline for the city, a fact that was shown by the decrease of the population from 39,941 in 1870 to 35,220 in 1966. Starting with 1968, Botosani became the county seat, and until 1992 there is a period of growth and development accompanied Of rapid population growth to the historic maximum of 126,145 inhabitants registered in 1992.