The city of Suceava, the county seat, is located in the center of Suceava Plain, at the meeting of the great transcontinental and cross-border road that goes from the Black Sea shores to the Baltic Sea.
Suceava is one of the oldest and most important cities of Romania and it is crossed by the European road E85 (DN2), which provides the road link with Bucharest, which is 432 km. The CFR 500 passes through the city, which is a railway junction, whereby the rail line to Transylvania is taken off.
Suceava is one of the oldest and most important settlements of Romania. It was documented in 1388, when Prince of Moldova was Peter II Muşat, who moved the capital from Siret to Suceava. It has served as the capital of the Moldovan Principality for almost two centuries, until 1565. The history of the settlement is linked to the names of some of the most famous voivodes of Moldova, such as Alexandru cel Bun, Stefan cel Mare and Petru Rares. Between 1774 and 1918, Suceava was a town in the Austrian Empire (later Austro-Hungary), part of the Kingdom of Galicia and Lodomeria and the Duchy of Bucovina. During this period, he played the role of an Austro-Hungarian border town with the Kingdom of Romania.