×

Home Moldova Maramures Muntenia and Dobrogea Banat and Crisana Transylvania Oltenia Events ROMANA
Sibiu

Sibiu is one of the most important cities in Transylvania with a remarkable potential for economic development, benefiting from its position on the Pan-European Corridor IV and benefiting from a modern International Airport. The locality is 45 ° 47 north latitude and 24 ° 05 east longitude. The altitude from sea level varies between 415 m in the Lower Town and 431 m in the Upper Town.

The city is in a temperate continental area with thermal influences due to the depression area and the mountains that surround it south and southwest. The annual rainfall average is 662 mm with minimum values ​​in February (26.7 mm) and maximum in June (113 mm). The average annual temperature is 8.9 degrees Celsius. With 155,000 permanent residents and 25,000 temporary residents, especially students, Sibiu is the largest city in the county. The local community is made up of diverse ethnic groups.

The vast majority of the population is represented by the Romanians (94%) who coexist with the Germans, descendants of the Saxon colonists who emigrated in the 12th century in the Luxembourg region, Lorraine, Alsace.

They are joined by Hungarians, Roma and a very small Jewish community, all of whom contribute by specific cultural influences to the life of the city. The same diversity also characterizes religious life. Along with the Orthodox, the reformed faith, Roman Catholics, Greek Catholics and Evangelical-Lutheran faiths are practiced in Sibiu. The social structure of the city is based on a historical and multicultural life experience, the diversity of its inhabitants, belonging to different ethnic groups, generations and lifestyles, giving the city a special aura.

Information taken from sibiu.ro

Sibiu

Sibiu is one of the most important cities in Transylvania with a remarkable potential for economic development, benefiting from its position on the Pan-European Corridor IV and benefiting from a modern International Airport. The locality is 45 ° 47 north latitude and 24 ° 05 east longitude. The altitude from sea level varies between 415 m in the Lower Town and 431 m in the Upper Town.

The city is in a temperate continental area with thermal influences due to the depression area and the mountains that surround it south and southwest. The annual rainfall average is 662 mm with minimum values ​​in February (26.7 mm) and maximum in June (113 mm). The average annual temperature is 8.9 degrees Celsius. With 155,000 permanent residents and 25,000 temporary residents, especially students, Sibiu is the largest city in the county. The local community is made up of diverse ethnic groups.

The vast majority of the population is represented by the Romanians (94%) who coexist with the Germans, descendants of the Saxon colonists who emigrated in the 12th century in the Luxembourg region, Lorraine, Alsace.

They are joined by Hungarians, Roma and a very small Jewish community, all of whom contribute by specific cultural influences to the life of the city. The same diversity also characterizes religious life. Along with the Orthodox, the reformed faith, Roman Catholics, Greek Catholics and Evangelical-Lutheran faiths are practiced in Sibiu. The social structure of the city is based on a historical and multicultural life experience, the diversity of its inhabitants, belonging to different ethnic groups, generations and lifestyles, giving the city a special aura.

Information taken from sibiu.ro

Roman basilica from Cristian

Roman basilica from Cristian
At 7.69 km from city center.

Historical Center of Sibiu

Historical Center of Sibiu
At 1.96 km from city center.

The Evangelical Church

The Evangelical Church
At 1.91 km from city center.

the Tower of the Council

the Tower of the Council
At 2.06 km from city center.

Museum of Natural History

Museum of Natural History
At 1.99 km from city center.

The Bridge of Lies in Sibiu

The Bridge of Lies in Sibiu
At 1.95 km from city center.

Tower of the Carpenters

Tower of the Carpenters
At 2.19 km from city center.

ASTRA Museum

ASTRA Museum
At 4.22 km from city center.

The Potters Tower

The Potters Tower
At 2.13 km from city center.

Tower of the Ladders

Tower of the Ladders
At 1.85 km from city center.

The Ethnography and Folk Art Museum of Saseasca - Emil Sigerus-

The Ethnography and Folk Art Museum of Saseasca - Emil Sigerus-
At 1.99 km from city center.
Roman basilica from CristianIn the mid-fifteenth century, former Roman basilica from Cristian was almost completely renovated and converted into a church-hall Gothic style with three naves and a bell tower. The authorities wanted to build a church as strong to resist weather and ruthless attacks, but to modern architecture and fall weather. Thus, the very famous stonemason Andreas Lapicida known in this part of Transylvania for his mastery, was in charge of the work. Because the town was in full open field and hardly defend themselves against invaders, the church was surrounded by two defensive curtains and exterior wall was provided with five towers.Roman basilica from Cristian
Historical Center of SibiuSibiu, known as Hermannstadt German was and is one of the most representative cities of Romania, both in terms of tourism, but culturally and economically. Here there is the most important center of the German minority in Transylvania, also other minorities (Hungarians, Gypsies, Slovaks and Ukrainians). Of course, it has the largest share of Romanian origin population (over 95%) who knew how to keep and combine remaining crops up.Historical Center of Sibiu
The Evangelical Church

The Evangelical Church is one of the most impressive Gothic buildings in Transylvania. It was built in the 14th century on the site of an ancient church dating back to the 12th century. The building is dominated by the seven-level tower with the four turrets on the corners, a sign that the city had the right to be sentenced to death (in Latin and Gladius, literally - the sword right--). In the tower there are 192 steps that stop at the 4 towers where a general view of the city is provided. The observation point is 55 m. In the tower there are 3 bells.

For centuries there had been the watch-keeper's watch. The tower of the church is 73.34 m high, it is the tallest building in Sibiu. The Legend says that the Saxon Saxons, wanting to ascend for their church the highest tower, went to a delegation to the six-member community in Bistrita to inspiration. There they measured with a rope the height of the church tower, and in the evening they were invited to the Bistritan feast. while enraging the people from Sibiu, the Bistritian craftsmen have secretly cut a piece of rope. Thus the tower of Bistrita remained the highest in Transylvania, with its 75 meters. It is the second clock tower as old in Romania. The current clock dates back to 1881.

The church is an extensive Gothic edifice with a plan made up of a polygonal choir composed of three trawls, flanked north by a sacristy; there is a transept to the west, then the central ship and the two sides; in the west was built the massive tower, finally embedded in a narthex formed, in turn, from three ships. The mobile inventory of the Evangelical Church in Sibiu is particularly valuable. Even though a number of gold-plated silver wreaths, works of famous Sibiu masters, such as Sebastian Hann, are not accessible to the public, other high-value pieces can be admired in the church.

starting with 1496, for 300 years, the church has also served as a burial site for mayors, committees, or other Siberian personalities. in 1796 the burial in the church is forbidden, but an exception will be made in 1803, when the dead body of Baron Samuel von Brukenthal will be deposited in the crypt beside the pulpit. The burial stones that covered the graves were dismantled from the church ship in 1853 and embedded in the ferrule walls, thus obtaining a gallery of 67 funerary slates, unique in Romania. Ferula is composed of three trajectories supported by two pairs of massive columns. On the southern side is a small tribune. On the western wall of this stand there is the painted chronicle of the main events of the city's life.

VISIT PROGRAM: daily 10:00 - 20:00

Information and images taken from turism.sibiu.ro

The Evangelical Church
the Tower of the Council

Situated between the most important two markets of the city, more precisely at the corner of the Mid-east, the Tower of the Council has always been the hallmark of the city of Sibiu. The name of the tower comes from the defensive function on the entrance gate in the second enclosure, located in the immediate vicinity of the building that sheltered the Sibiu City Hall, mentioned in documentary in 1324. Starting with the tower defense, defense, two fortifications, it collapses partially in 1585, following an earthquake. The ground floor and the first two floors belong today to the original construction of the 19th century. XIII. in 1588 the tower is rebuilt with the help of the citizens of the city.

In 1720 the tower guard received an order from the magistrate to repeat the whistle of the clock every half an hour. The roof changes its appearance from time to time, from a short, pyramidal one to the high octagonal pyramid, flanked by four turrets that served as a sign of the city's judiciary. The present shape of the tower dates back to the reconstruction works carried out between 1824-1826. Access to the interior is through a small door, from where, through a spiral staircase, it reaches the upper floors. There are 141 steps up to the top floor. On the fifth floor you can see the clock mechanism and the last floor shows an observation point over the old town.

VISIT PROGRAM: 10:00 - 20:00, Entry: 2 RON

Information and images taken from turism.sibiu.ro

the Tower of the Council
Museum of Natural History

The foundations of the museum were laid in 1849 by the establishment of the Siebenbürgischer Verein für Naturwiessenschaften (Transylvanian Society of Natural Sciences), which brought together important personalities of the domestic and international scientific and cultural life. The headquarters of the Transylvanian Society of Natural Sciences, whose festive inauguration took place on May 25, 1895, was built by the C.W. Friedrich Maetz.

The building is placed in the 3rd (demolished) and 4th quarters. The main façade of neoclassical conformation has a portico with four ionic columns above which there is a balcony with a railing. To the balcony there are three rectangular doors in the semicircular discharge arch provided with a volley-shaped bow. The three axes are separated by four corinthian columns bearing an antablamentus with the frieze inscribed with the MDCCCXCIV (1894). The collections of the museum sum up nearly 1,100,000 pieces from the fields of geology, paleontology, botany and zoology, being second in the national network. on December 21, 2007, the most modern Romanian natural history exhibition was opened in the presence of the Culture Minister Adrian Iorgulescu, the mayor of Sibiu, Klaus Werner Johannis and the prefect of Sibiu County, Ioan Mitea.

From a thematic point of view, the exhibition has preserved its systematic character, presenting the main groups of animals in their phylogenetic evolution. Innovative are the scenography of the presentation and the adopted museotechnical solutions. Thus, in the new configuration, a special importance was given to the dioramate presentation, the pieces being placed in displays in which the habitat of each animal is reproduced within an ecosystem. The number of tracks has been reduced without affecting diversity. A much greater amount of complementary materials, such as explanatory texts, static images and moving images, have been used. The selection of all the materials incorporated in the butaforium was made on the criterion of compatibility and the quality of the microclimate in the exhibition sector is ensured by general air conditioning.

TARIFF: Adult 13 Ron,, children over 7 years 3,5 Ron, Children up to 7 years free, School groups 11 Ron

Information and images taken from turism.sibiu.ro

Museum of Natural History
The Bridge of Lies in Sibiu

The Bridge of Lies is one of the most important symbols of the city. Rebuilt in 1859 by Friedrich Hütte instead of another wooden bridge, the Bridge of Lies is the first iron bridge in Romania. Because it was the first one that was not built on the pillars, it was told - the lying bottom--. in German, the word "lugenmarchen" ("lugenmarchen") was the name of the word - minciuna-- and it was called by the locals - the lie lie - where the legends that justified its name appeared.

Of the many legends related to this bridge, the most popular remains the legend that if someone says a lie while on the bridge, it will collapse. Preferred place for young couples for the promenade, the bridge is distinguished by rugged rosette pieces and a brass of elements written in descending circles ornate with vegetal and neo-gothic geometric motifs. They bear on the southern side the coat of arms of Sibiu, and on the northern side the inscriptions - 1859--, respectively - Friedrich Hütte--. The four rugged stone pedestals at the end of the bridge support molded cast iron luminaires. The metallic balustrade of the bridge consisted of eight panels with radial, gothic decorations.

Information and images taken from turism.sibiu.ro

The Bridge of Lies in Sibiu
Tower of the Carpenters

1337 - 1366

It is a flank tower attached to the third enclosure, based on a circular plan. From the cornice tower, the tower takes the form of an octagonal prism closed in the upper portion by an outer part supported by consoles with black holes between the arcs. It was restored in 1967. The wall that connects to the Potters Tower is a recent reconstruction of the old defensive wall.

Information and images taken from turism.sibiu.ro

Tower of the Carpenters
ASTRA Museum

Ideal place for keeping the authentic Romanian spirit, the Outdoor Museum in Dumbrava Sibiului is set in a true paradise, in the natural reserve - Dumbrava Sibiului -. Featuring a lake and over ten kilometers of alleys, the museum offers all sorts of walks, from classic walks to a short carriage or sleigh ride. Lush vegetation helps people breathe fresh air, but also ignores for a few minutes or hours the city's hustle and bustle. A visit to the Outdoor Museum in Dumbrava Sibiului also has this feature to make you forget about everyday problems easily, translating into a different world with which you gradually learn to communicate. It is a world created for centuries in a history where the Romans have created a space for them to distinguish them from others, making them feel unique, creative, giving them a feeling of steadiness and helping them resist those who wanted to change them in one way or another.

The outdoor museum covers an area of ​​96 hectares, of which the exhibition itself occupies 42 hectares. Visitors have at their disposal a Multicultural Museum Pavilion, with tourist information office included, two restaurants, two boarding houses, a playground, 4 parking lots, over 10 km of alleys, lots of stopovers, practical demonstration spaces and many other items to make their stay as pleasant as possible.

The story of the ASTRA Museum begins more than a century ago with the first manifestations of a Romanian dream from Transylvania to organize an ethnographic collection in Sibiu under the aegis of the Association for Romanian Literature and the Romanian People's Culture. It has the role of highlighting the most representative testimonies about the Romanian specific, about what distinguishes us from other peoples, things and phenomena that could explain to all who we are. The products of the Romanian mastership were to prove the technical creativity and the hard work of this nation. The first exhibition of the Association Museum, an institution from which comes the name ASTRA, took place in 1905.

Information and images taken from turism.sibiu.ro

ASTRA Museum
The Potters Tower

It was built in the 19th century. XV of stone and consolidated a century later. The upper part, protruding outside, rests on a set of consoles with throwing holes. Surrounding around there are five shooting points for archebuzes.Sub streasina: ramparts in the shape of steps.

Information and images taken from turism.sibiu.ro

The Potters Tower
Tower of the Ladders

sec. 13, restored in 1542

It is the only one of the three access gates in the first fortification enclosure that has been preserved and dates back to the sec. XIII, the ground floor of the tower being the oldest building in Sibiu.

The present form dates back to 1542. The tower is in the form of a massive brick-built single-storey building, having at the first level a vaulted passage through which you reach the stairs that connect between - The Upper City-- and the - from the bottom - towards the Tower Street, and laterally an arched passage to the BUSSWINKEL under the curb wall that delimits the garden of the parish house.

Information and images taken from turism.sibiu.ro

Tower of the Ladders
The Ethnography and Folk Art Museum of Saseasca - Emil Sigerus-

It is where you can discover one of the most important collections of Saxon folk art in Romania. Housed in a beautiful monument building, the museum is organized in three sections: folk art galleries, exhibition and conference halls, and exhibition and exhibition dedicated mainly to Saxon art collectors.

Regarding the heritage of the museum, over 8300 pieces are divided into three collections: ceramics, textile port and furnishings.

Photos and information: sibiu-turism.ro

The Ethnography and Folk Art Museum of Saseasca - Emil Sigerus-

Hotel Bliss

Hotel Bliss
At 0.57 km from city center.